For more than 30 years, Larry Gaydos has represented public and private companies, their executives, and Audit Committees in federal and state government investigations involving numerous government agencies including the Department of Justice, the Securities Exchange Commission, the Department of Defense, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Agriculture, Homeland Security, the Internal Revenue Service, the Texas Attorney General’s office, as well as the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives.
Larry conducts internal corporate investigations, represents clients before government agencies, coordinates with outside auditors and litigates in both civil and criminal courts. While his clients come from many diverse business areas, his representations include many prominent national corporations in the energy field and defense industry. He has extensive experience in federal civil and criminal litigation, antitrust, federal securities, defense procurement, foreign trade, environmental, and general criminal matters. His clients have included many large private corporations and Fortune 500 companies including AT&T, Exxon, Hillwood, L-3 Communications, Bell/Textron, Enbridge, Nexen, Bank of America, Owens Corning, Hillenbrand, Valero, and American Airlines.
Larry is a distinguished graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point and served as an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers and the Judge Advocate General’s Corps for 13 years. At the Army’s Judge Advocate General’s School in Charlottesville, Virginia, he taught a wide variety of criminal law courses including advanced trial advocacy, pretrial investigations, and professional ethics to military attorneys, military judges, and Senior/General Officer Commanders. He also served as the advisor to the Army Judge Advocate General on ethics and professional disciplinary issues. Larry left military duty in 1986 as a Major.
After his military service he worked for 30 years at Haynes and Boone, LLP where he was a Partner, cofounder of the White Collar Criminal Law practice group and member of the Board of Directors, the Sarbanes-Oxley Committee, and the Firm’s Professional Responsibility Committee. In private practice he also served as a Regional Chair of the American Bar Association White Collar Crime Committee and Chair of the State Bar of Texas Antitrust and Business Litigation Section. He was recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer (by Thomson Reuters) in 2013 in the areas of Antitrust Litigation, White Collar Criminal Defense, and Corporate Governance and Compliance. He is past President and a current Board Director of the Arlington Bar Association.
Larry met his wife, Joanne, at the 1971 Army Navy game (Army won) in Philadelphia. They got married in 1973, four days after he graduated from West Point. They have two great children (Lauren and Andrew) and two fantastic grandsons (Brody and Blake). Their favorite getaways are Aruba and Key West. Beat Navy!
- B.S., United States Military Academy, 1973, Distinguished Graduate
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1978
- TJAGSA, 31st Graduate Course (L.L.M. Equivalent), 1983, Distinguished Graduate
- Army Airborne School, 1971
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Services
- United States Supreme Court
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association (Antitrust, Criminal Justice Sections)
- State Bar of Texas (Antitrust and Business Litigation, Criminal Law Sections)
- Virginia State Bar
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Arlington Bar Association (Board of Directors, Past President)
- American Legion
Areas of Practice
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Litigation/Trial Practice
- Antitrust and Competition
- Government Contract Disputes
- SEC Enforcement
- Corporate Governance
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- False Claims Act/Qui Tam
- Environmental Crimes
- International Cartels
- Government Enforcement and Internal Investigations
- U.S. Criminal Investigations and Prosecutions
- Corporate Compliance/Ethics
- Legal Malpractice
- Representation of the CEO of a waste disposal company in criminal and civil litigation concerning state and federal environmental issues (water).
- Internal investigation for the audit committee of a Canadian petroleum industry company regarding securities issues.
- Internal investigation for the board of directors of an international petroleum company regarding foreign corrupt practice issues in South America.
- Defense of the CFO of a defense industry company on allegations of procurement fraud.
- Internal investigation for the audit committee of an international petroleum industry company regarding securities fraud and foreign corrupt practice issues in Mexico.
- Representation of a multinational defense industry client in federal civil litigation regarding antitrust and intellectual property issues.
- Defense of a CFO of a foreign subsidiary of a multinational oil company in a Brazilian criminal tax case.
- Representation of a Texas law firm in state civil litigation against another law firm regarding breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims.
- Defense of a national manufacturing company in federal civil litigation regarding monopolization and predatory pricing claims.
- Counseling clients and conducting internal investigations for Audit Committees and Boards of Directors regarding stock option backdating issues.
- Defense of a construction industry CEO in a DOJ public corruption investigation.
- Defense of an oil industry client on allegations of nationwide price fixing.
- Defense of a financial analyst in a parallel IRS and DOJ tax investigation.
- Defense of an energy company on allegation of price fixing and monopolization.
- Defense of individuals in a Homeland Security criminal investigation.
- Representation of the board of directors of a health care company in parallel SEC and DOJ investigations.
- Internal investigation for the board of directors of an international travel industry company regarding securities issues.
- Defense of a technology company on allegations of procurement fraud.
- Internal corporate investigation for a large national manufacturing company concerning state and federal environmental issues (air).
- Internal investigation for the audit committee of an international drilling and exploration company regarding securities issues.
- Internal investigations for the audit committee of a national telecommunications industry client regarding whistleblower allegations and securities issues.
- Internal investigation for the audit committee of a foreign petroleum company regarding securities issues.
- Representation of the CEO of a national computer technology company in an internal investigation.
- Representation of the CEO and GC of a national technology company in a SEC investigation and civil litigation concerning stock option issues.
- Representation of two retail clients as plaintiffs in a multi-national class action MDL price-fixing case.
- Representation of a defense industry client in a plaintiff antitrust monopolization case against an industry competitor
- Representation of key witnesses in the public corruption investigations of the Dallas City Council, the Mayor of New Orleans, the Mayor Pro Tem of Houston, and Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price.
- Representation of a key witness in the United States House of Representatives, United States Senate, and DOJ Inspector General investigations regarding Operation Fast and Furious.
- Internal investigation for the audit committees of a Canadian energy company and its United States subsidiary regarding whistleblower allegations and securities issues.